Monday, May 25, 2009

Babies! Babies!

This one was born on Saturday.
He/She is up and about, eating, drinking and causing a ruckus. And apparently, will need to move to a box with higher sides soon.


So, I think this one might actually be a Maran (R) x Easter Egger (H). Difficult to tell what color the EE was - white or brown, but this one certainly doesn't look black like SLW or Maran parentage.


The chickie here was born on Sunday, but was not yet robust enough to hang out with the older chicks. By the time the other three had hatched, this one was running around and was put in with the older ones.


Memorial Day arrivals with two more eggs left to hatch. Babies aren't even dry yet. It's a miracle. I AM reminded that there is a Higher Power somewhere.


Wow, what a weekend. I feel like the Chicken Maternity Ward. We thought Old Biddy was sitting on 7 eggs, but she was sitting on 9. 6 live births gives us a 60% success rate - pretty good for going "all natural". 1 didn't make it through its hatch. Two more? Well, they are still within a normal time frame - normal being between 18 days and 25 days. We are on day 23 right now. Going to keep them hydrated and see what happens. Some were put under old Biddy on the Sunday, so the ones that hatched today could have been "22 day" chicks. Still, even if the other two eggs don't hatch, I am deliriously happy with the small, noisy peepers in my bathroom.

4 comments:

WrethaOffGrid said...

That is sooo cool, I want chickies so bad! Our neighbors around the mountain from us are supposed to give us a few chickens, we helped them build a chicken coop, now we just need to get one built for ourselves so we can get those chickens... :)

Those are some cutie pies you have there.

LDH said...

Congratulations on your little chickies! so very cute!

RosieVanderhoeven said...

Hello! I also live in the high desert and am going to attempt a veggie garden this summer (I know, I am late already!). So I came across your blog when I was searching for info. It is nice to see another gardener going at it in our tough climate. I live in Bend, Oregon. I was wondering what your favorite veggies are to plant?

KMU said...

Zucchini survives nearly anything given enough water and using hand polination where needed. While not my favorite eating veggie, it does grow pretty well, even when the temps are 60*F at night and 106*F during the day. I LOVE tomatoes, but they do not like those kinds of temperature swings.
... sorry I haven't kept up with the blog - the Army currently rules my life!