Monday, July 12, 2010

Spinach

I grew spinach for the first time this year. I planted "Matador" in the berry bed. Only three strawberry plants survived our winter this year, but three is enough to send 15 - 20 runners by summer, so I figured I fill the empty spaces with fast growing spinach.

Baby Matador Spinach

I am convinced that if children were introduced to spinach from their grandma's garden at an early age, then they would both love eating spinach and have a better foundation with which to face the world.


I am not quite at the point where I will be saving seeds, but I am heading that way. Observing this season's spinach bolting is the first step in that process. And who knows, maybe the chickens won't get all the bolting spinach and blooms, and I'll save a few seeds "just to see what happens."

No comments: