Saturday, May 22, 2010

Henhouse News

The boys build me a nest box for Mother's Day. I thought it would be too open and that the hens wouldn't use it, but that has not been the case. "Old Biddy," the largest of the Maran hens, lays her single egg every day on top of the nest box. She's always laid her eggs on hard surfaces, so I suppose that is not too surprising.

These eggs were an acumulation of leftovers - some are several days old. They became snacks for the dogs along with about a dozen more "old" eggs. The people are way more spoiled - we eat only "same day" eggs. Sometimes they are less than an hour old.

I can't believe that "Hungry Jack" is now several years old. This is a photo from two weeks ago where he is watching over his bathing beauties. He very rarely partakes in the dust baths himself, but he likes to strut around the flock when the ladies are bathing.

On a sad note, one of my Silver Laced Wyandotes has passed away. It looks like she died in the night on her roost. There appears to be no sign of foul play. She was a little over two years old. My son took her out and burried her.

No comments: