Sunday, May 4, 2008

Some actual garden plants

In re-reading my blog here, I realize it looks like all that is growing in the garden are wild plants and/or weeds. But such is not really the case.

Strawberries are blooming... not the best photo, but you get the idea.


Lemon balm is looking much better now that there hasn't been a hard frost for a few weeks. There's still one little frost burnt area, but the leaves are now full sized and much healthier looking. It seems to like the shade it gets from hiding behind a bearded iris. (You can see greek oregano creaping in from the right. If I'm not careful, oregano will need to be added to the "weeds" list!)


Sunflowers are also doing nicely. I sowed some "Mammoth" and some "sunseed" a few weeks ago (well before the last hard frost) and they are up. This is one of the "Mammoth" ones along the North fence. Hopefully, the main sowing will happen over the course of the next few weeks. So far, there are 23 up out of the ground. I hope to have a hundred or so - with the blooms spread out across the summer. Wouldn't that be a site along the North 70 something feet of my garden fence?


I don't have time to post more photos today, but the garlic and sugar snap peas are also doing well. I'm concerned that the peas came up a bit late, though, and will be ready to flower in the scortching days at the end of June, or even during July!

No comments: