Sunday, May 4, 2008

They aren't weeds if...

They have a name, right? If they have names, then they become - wild flowers!

Of all the desert flowers that show up after a good rain and a bit of sunshine, the Desert Primrose is one of my favorites. It doesn't stay long and it only shows up on wet years, but perhaps its rarity is part of its charm. I have tried watering where I know they have been in previous years to see if I can fake them into thinking it is a "wet" year, but so far, I haven't had luck. This year, being moderately wet, seems to be becoming a good year for them. I'm going to try and water some and see if they will stay around longer. Some photos of the Desert Primrose...



On the other hand, even though I know that the following is a tumble weed seedling, it doesn't at all mean that it is welcomed in the garden! Native plant, perhaps, but it is prolific, loves to germinate in disturbed sand, and seems to be particularly robust this year. So, even though I admire its tenacity, I am on a mission to erradicate it from at least my garden area. (With nearly 5 acres of sand to my name, I am not going to attempt to totally eradicate it from my life, but I can wish!)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

We also live in the desert except in California. We love desert wildflowers and we'll sometimes go wildflower hunting for photos!

Jenn said...

Tumbleweeds are native to northern asia. They are invasives here, nevermind the stock image of the american deserts with tumbleweeds...